6 in stock
Beginners Shibori – Sunday 14th July – 10:00am – 12:30pm
Come and learn Shibori, the ancient Japanese art of resist dyeing using indigo, the most magical blue in the world! Learn the basic binding and stitching techniques and then design your own pattern before dyeing your piece in the indigo vat. Over the 2.5 hour workshop you’ll master the following stitching and binding skills and learn all about indigo:
– The basic kamosage knot used to secure all bound work
– How to make the kumo (spiderweb) and tesugi (stripes) patterns using binding
– The three basic stitches – running stitch, ori nui (teeth) and maki nui (chevrons)
– How to create filled shapes (maki-age) using stitching and binding
– How to dye your fabrics in a genuine indigo vat made from Mayan indigo
Suitable for complete beginners. All materials and tools are provided. You will be taught how to unpick your finished work and reveal your designs.
About the tutor:
London-based Romor Designs was formed in the autumn of 2015 by Rob Jones, a shibori textiles designer and natural dyer. Having discovered Shibori, the ancient Japanese art of resist dyeing, at West Dean college, Rob went on to study in Japan under indigo guru, Bryan Whitehead. Rob’s passion is in finding the new in the old, building on the tradition and centuries of skill that shibori has behind it. He believes in taking work in new directions by combining techniques and inventing his own forms.
“The shibori techniques that speak to me are the ones that embrace the life that’s in the fabric and dyes themselves. ”