6 in stock
Beginners Shibori – Sunday 28th January 10:00 – 12:30 £50
Beginners binding and stitching shibori
Come and learn Shibori, the ancient Japanese art of resist dyeing using indigo, the most magical blue in the world. Learn the basic binding and stitched techniques and then design your own pattern before dyeing your piece in the indigo vat. You’ll walk away not only with a stylish bag, but also the knowledge and skills to dye other fabrics at home. Imagine all the other things you can dye!
Over the 2.5 hour workshop you’ll master the following stitching and binding skills and learn all about indigo:
– The basic kamosage knot used to secure all bound work
– How to make the kumo (spiderweb) and tesugi (stripes) patterns using binding
– The three basic stitches – running stitch, ori nui (teeth) and maki nui (chevrons)
– How to create filled shapes (maki-age) using stitching and binding
– How to dye your fabrics in a genuine indigo vat made from Mayan indigo
Instructions on how to create and maintain your own indigo vat at home will be provided.
Suitable for complete beginners. A good quality strong 5oz cotton tote bag is included in the price of the workshop. All other materials and tools are provided.
You will be taught you how to unpick your finished work and reveal your designs.
You can take both the Itajime and Shibori for £90 use the coupon code indigo double at check out.